Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Olympics

I had a very eventful weekend - but I'll get to that in a later post.

For now, it's all about the Olympics.

I've always loved the Olympics. I just love to watch hard core athletes finally making all their work worth it. And it brings out national pride - its so much fun to cheer on the US, regardless of the sport.

I wasn't quite as excited about the 2000 and 2004 Olympics. I don't know if it was because the media attention wasn't as strong, or if I just didn't care as much, or I just didn't have as much free time. But the last Olympics I've been this excited about were the '96 Atlanta Olympics.

Back then I was 12. I had just quit competing gymnastics, due mainly to the fact that the gymnastics home I had grown up in was closing and the only other gymnastics option seemed cold and impersonal to me. I was still coming to terms with the change in my life from spending all my time at the gym to having much more free time. So watching gymnastics that year ws bittersweet.

I watched every second of the womens gymnastics competition. I jumped up and down in my living room crying when Kerri Strug landed her vault. We were able to actually attend the Women's All Around finals since they were in Atlanta. I was completely caught up in the Atlanta spirit.

It is so hard for me to believe that was 12 years ago. So hard for me to believe that the young gymnasts now barely know who Dominique Moceanu and Shannon Miller are. That moment when our team won gold is still the ultimate Olympic moment for me. I will never forget this scene:


Twelve years later the USA is once again a gold medal favorite in the women's gymnastics team finals. I watched the prelims today and as I watched Shawn Johnson nail every single pass on her beam routine, I can't help but feel that same excitement. When gymnastics is on, my eyes are glued to the TV. I am so excited to share in the Olympic spirit again and I can guarantee you that if you come over to our house, Olympics will be on TV, regardless of the sport. And I promise that whenever women's gymnastics is on it is being TiVoed just in case I am busy that night.

No comments: