Thursday, February 28, 2008

Life as an entry-level actuarial analyst

I made it back to work today after being sick for two days, and I went ahead and took a few pictures in case anyone was curious to see what my office looks like. Yes, that's right, I have my very own office. It's a pretty sweet deal - so much better than at PwC, where I didn't even have my own cube. Now, it's nothing really special, just a plain office, but it's all mine:


This is the best view I could get of my desk in my office. I know, it's looking a little bit plain. I need to put something on the walls but I haven't figured out what yet. Got any ideas? Also - that monitor does look rather ancient. But never fear, I've already been ordered a new computer that should be set up soon.


And this is the view I see sitting at my desk. Notice the bookcase to the left - I absolutely love bookcases. I think it has something to do with my love of books. However, it's completely empty right now as well. Besides one picture of my family. What should I put on it? I don't have any actuary books yet... I just don't know. Maybe I'll just start storing things here slowly so that I don't have to move it all when I move from my apartment into our future home.


And this is what I am currently working on... it is a huge litigation project that I believe will be taking over my life for the next few months. It sounds interesting, but it is definitely challenging me to read between the lines and try to figure out what exactly my boss wants me to do. I get a little overwhelmed sometimes, but hey - that's to be expected with a new job.


If you refer back to the picture of my view from my desk, you will notice a package sitting on the corner of my desk. That would be my study materials - and today would be the day I started studying for the test. It's back to the grind, but at least now I get some work study time. I already spent an evening at Borders tonight, and have plans to wake up early tomorrow morning to get some studying in before work.

It might be slightly nerdy, but I will admit, there is always a tinge of excitement inside of me when I receive new study materials. I know that studying changes my life, but I just can't explain the satisfaction I get as I pore over the notes, solve problems, and stress myself out for a test. And then the satisfaction of the test being over and having passed it - I guess I was meant to be an actuary. Well, since I have passed all the tests I've taken so far. Just pray the passing continues and when or if I do fail a test - I can still press on. We'll see how much of this attitude changes as I move on to the harder tests later, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy the good feelings I get from studying.

Please, remind me I said this when it is test time. And remind me of this when I am on my 9th test (hopefully in just 4 or 5 years), and ready to be DONE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"What should I put on it?"

Umm, I dunno, how about those 20 stacks of litigation papers? =)

Kristin Roberts said...

oh Meg. I love you so much. You are such a favorite person of mine, and I love your nerdiness.. even if it is a RIDICULOUS amount of nerdiness!!! :)

Put some devotionals and a Bible on the shelves -- you know the quick kind for breaks and stuff... maybe a picture or two of me.