Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Study study

I have been so busy lately, I can barely keep up with everything. All of my days are filled to the brim with studying, working, working out, and buying a house. I'm studying before work, during work, after work, and I must say it has been the toughest to study for this test than either of the two before.

For those of you who don't know about the actuarial exam process - here's a quick overview. I am working to become a certified FCAS, a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society. There are two actuary societies, but my job is in the Property & Casualty field, so that is the path I am on. I have a total of 9 tests to take, of which I have passed the first two already - both on the first try, with good scores. The third test is split into two parts and I decided to only concentrate on one of the parts this May, because I knew I'd be so busy with the other huge life-changing events in my life. The portion I'm studying for is a 2 hour test and covers Financial Economics. Each test requires hours and hours and hours of studying (I'm not kidding here - at least an hour for each minute of the test), and the only way I can accomplish it is to set up a study schedule plan and stick to it. Luckily with my new job I receive paid study time. For example, this week I'm going to leave work two hours early on Wed. and Thurs. to study. I haven't had this before, but it is helping me a lot.

So this current test is only a 2 hour test, the shortest one I'll ever take. Why am I having such a hard time studying for it? It's not one of the most challenging. It's just that my mind is in a million different places. I'm typically pretty good at focusing, but not right now. It has become a real challenge. But hey - I don't doubt my ability to plan a wedding, buy a house, train for a 10k, AND pass a test. But by the time our honeymoon rolls around and I am done with all of those milestones - I will be enjoying MUCH needed rest as I lounge by the beach. Only 122 more days... well, 123 more till the honeymoon.

And on that note - off to bed I go. I must wake up at 5:45 so I can study for an hour and a half before work. Yes, that is the life of an actuarial student. Anyone want to join me???

No comments: